Sunday, August 06, 2006

Intense Job Hunt Comes to an End!

It's a celebration! Mark's got a job!

It's Sunday afternoon now and I'm in the backyard basking in a surprisingly warm and sunny day. My legs are still throbbing from an all-day Ultimate Frisbee tournament that rolled on yesterday through a mainly rainy and wet day. But it was still a great time! My randomly-picked (but amazingly fun) team went all the way to the finals, through six hard-fought but exciting 45-minute games. By the last game my legs felt like they weighed a hundred pounds each. We lost in a true battle of a final game, but each member of our second place team still got to drink a shot of Jagermeister from the toilet-shaped trophy. After a day of running around it was even less appetizing than it sounds, believe me. So I'm suffering today from aching muscles in just about every part of my body except for possibly my eyebrows, but I don't care! And there is one good reason for this:

I managed to get a job!

And not just any job either, this is an amazing, interesting, heart-stoppingly exciting job. Especially for me. It's with a company called AbbyShot Clothiers and they make incredibly detailed, screen-accurate clothing based on cult movies, TV Shows, and Anime. Say you wanted Silent Bob's coat from Clerks 2 or Neo's jacket from The Matrix. They can custom-make it for you, right here from their offices in Mount Pearl, Newfoundland. Just from meeting with them a few times they have already made me a huge believer in their company, and hopefully I can help them out over the next year. Finally my dorky movie-obsessed tendecies have come in handy in a job situation!

And speaking of movie obsession, I went to see Clerks 2 last night. I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith's films; he is a movie geek who makes hilarious films for other movie geeks. The bigger the movie geek you are, the more you'll get out of his stuff. And Clerks 2 is no exception: there is some insanely funny stuff in here about The Lord of the Rings, Transformers, Star Wars (of course), and many subtle nods towards the original Clerks. Obviously, being a Kevin Smith film, there is also the requisite raunchy humour all fans expect with a few jokes based on obscure racial slurs, a poor dork named Elias who has a VERY strange reason for not having sex with his girlfriend, and a finale that revolves around an erotic donkey show. Despite all this, the whole piece still has an honest voice about relationships and the important turning points in our lives, and all the characters end up being people we still care about in the end. I don't care if Kevin Smith went back on his "promises" in returning to these characters again because the movie is one of the funniest I've seen in ages. Hopefully Mr. Smith can return to the New Jersey we all know and love a few more times if it stays this fresh and honest.

No comments: