Sunday, October 05, 2008

Dirty Old-Fashioned Politics

Sarah Palin (click for Wikipedia Entry)I'll make it clear from the start that I've never been a fan of Sarah Palin. I don't normally wax political on this blog, but I just read a story from the Palin camp that makes my blood boil.

Palin has just accused Barack Obama of having ties to a domestic terrorist.

Does that sound just a TAD unbelievable to you as well? Apparently Obama served on a charity board with a University of Illinois professor who used to be a member of an anti Vietnam War militant group called "Weather Underground". The anti Vietnam War movement raged while Obama was but a small child, but Palin doesn't concern herself with such things (I believe they're called "facts"?).

The truly scary part is this: replace the words "domestic terrorist" with "communist" in Palin's accusation above, and we're into Red Scare territory. The fear-mongering tactics used by Joe McCarthy in the 50's are not as far from today's world as we would like to think.Joe McCarthy (click for Wikipedia Entry)

The recipe is simple (and remains the same):

1) Take one respected public figure.
2) Add one obscure tie to a member of an extreme left-wing group.
3) Mix and serve to the public.

That Republicans haven't learned a lesson from McCarthyism is unfortunately not a big surprise to me. The real question now is: can the American Public learn from the past and not give in to reactionary scare tactics like this? I, for one, think so. I sign off now with a quote from a much greater man than myself: "Good night, and good luck."

With thanks to BBC News. Click on the pictures to visit the Wikipedia entries on both political figures.

No comments: